Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Neopolitan Stripes



I finally finished one wall of the girls' room today. Mom had a hard time understanding what I was trying to explain about the stripes, so here it is. I think it is so cute! Since I now have all the time in the world, I figured, why not take on painting and taping for days on end. Atleast it's something that I can do a little here and a little there.... This took about five days. But, after it's all done, with curtains and nice touches, will be well worth it!

One of the tips that I found that works wonders for beautifically clean lines is to get your tape up (I used a laser level) then re-paint the background color onto the tape. This way, if the paint bleeds through the tape, it is the same color and you can't tell... then it creates a good "seal" and after it's dried, paint your opposing color over the top. It's also good to take the tape off while the paint is still damp. Once you wait until it's completely dried, it can be extremely stuck to the wall. (Yup, done it!)

Oh, and for cutting in at the ceiling and for trim, my sis gave me this great one: Load your angled trim brush, paint your glob on the wall, then using minimal paint (I mean like almost dry) carefully cut in where you want it to go, dabbing on more paint from you glob on the wall. Let it dry, which doesn't take long since you didn't use much, and then cut in with thicker paint. I tried it and it really helps with all of those accidental globs you get up onto the ceiling!

Hope these help, and happy painting.

9 comments:

Jenna said...

It looks perfect, I love that! I have never been a good painter, and I never understood how to do stripes. That is one thing I need to learn. Job well done!

HaYn Mama said...

I super love it! You are a whiz at painting. Will you come do my house? Heehee!

Holly said...

That is so awesome! Now I feel like a big loser after making a big deal of just painting our girls' room pink!

Mateo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

I also give this an "awesome." As soon as I choose a paint color I'm holding you to your offer to help me paint my living room.

Cardalls said...

It looks great. You have so much more patience than I do. I'm just proud of myself if I can get a room painted (and usually it is not done very well.) You need to post all your great tips.

Shanell said...

My mouth is hanging open at the cutest neopolitan striped wall! That looks so good. Very nice job! I love pink and brown.
Here's another idea for not paint not bleeding. Put up the tape and take a little bit of caulk. I mean just a small bead on both sides. Then paint and pull it off while it is still a a little wet. The caulk seals the take and keeps is from bleeding as well!

The Wehrmeister's said...

Totally Perfect! Love it. I actually just bought some cute fabric that would match their room.

Candi said...

That turned out great! I love the pink - not too babyish, not too Pepto-ish - just right! Nice work!